William McCallum - Hailey's Song
A classic piping album from a hugely successful competitor, Willie McCallum's 'Hailey's Song' has become an essential album in many pipers' (and non-pipers) collections.
William McCallum comes from a long line of 'Great McCallum Pipers'. Born in Campbeltown, Argyll, he received his main tuition from his uncles Ronald and Hugh from around the age of nine. He also received coaching from Pipe Major Ronald MacCallum, piper to his grace the Duke of Argyll.
In a very short time he proved a formidable opponent in competition, having accumulated a very impressive array of Championship Wins, he became the first piper to win the Glenfiddich Championship in successive years and has since won almost every prize in solo piping, several times over in some cases. In addition to his solo piping skills he has had a long and successful pipe band experience and was a member of the Scottish Power Pipe Band, during a period where they won three major championships.
"With consummate skill and an array of marches, Scottish and Irish airs, jigs and reels, he provides sixty minutes of magic for all devotees of the swirl of the pipes"
FOLK NORTH WEST
"... played with the elegance and grace of a master musician playing such a superb sounding instrument."
1. 2/4 Marches: Brigadier General Ronald Cheape of Tiroran / Donald MacLellan of Rothesay
2. Strathspeys and Reels: A.A. Cameron's Strathspey / Donald Ruadh / Wiseman's Exercise / The White Eyebrow / The Piping Poodle / The Night We Had The Goats / MacPherson's Reel / Inverinate House
3. Airs and Jigs: The Banks of Lochiel / The Ten Penny Bit / The Geese In The Bog
4. 6/8 Marches: The Trees Of North Uist / Liam Chalmer's Farewell To Dean Park
5. Strathspeys and Reels: Lady MacKenzie of Gairloch / Tulloch Gorm / Lochiel's Awa To France / Fiona MacLeod
6. 3/4 Marches: My Faithful Fair One / McGregor of Rora / Shoals of Herring
7. Strathspeys and Reels: Games Night At The Loch Fyne / The Fiddler's Reel Of Bogie / Buntata's Sgadan / Malcolm The Tailor / Wretched Man Am I / Dudley Lyle's Reel / Jenny Dang The Weaver
8. March, Strathspey and Reel: Knightswood Ceilidh / Cameronian Rant / Charlie's Welcome
9. Slow Air and Reels: Hailey's Song / The Famous Ballymote / Farewell To Decorum / In And Out Of The Harbour / The Bletherskate
10. 2/4 Marches: Duchess Of Edinburgh / Major Manson At Clachantrushal
11. Gaelic Air and Jigs: Sailing With A Heavy Heart / Brae Riach / The Friar's Britches
12. 6/8 Marches: Bengullion / Major John MacLennan / Gordon Highlanders
13. Jigs: The Cock And Hen / The Merry Making / The Happy Farewell / Tending The Cattle With A Heavy Heart / Drops of Brandy / Give Us A Drink Of Water / Kitty Lie Over
14. Piobaireachd: Rory MacLoude's Lament
Artists on this release:
William ( Willie) McCallum
Label: Temple Records
Temple Records Catalogue Number:
CD - COMD 2060
Download - DD 2060