Dr Angus MacDonald - A'Sireadh Spòrs
A'Sireadh Spòrs is now widely recognised as a truly classic piping album, which should be in every pipers' collection. Piping at its best; seminal, traditional and innovative.
Dr Angus MacDonald hails originally from Glenuig in the Scottish Highlands and his brothers, Iain MacDonald & Allan MacDonald, are also well known in piping circles.They have developed a very individualistic style of playing which is their hallmark, and Angus is no exception in carrying on this tradition.
Dr Angus has won many major prizes (including Gold at Oban, Inverness and in Canada, the Clasp at Inverness, the Senior Piobaireachd at Oban and the Silver Chanter) but he has always set out to entertain without sacrificing the integrity of his music. This is not surprising when you consider that he studied under John MacKenzie at Queen Victoria School and the late Roderick MacDonald (Ruairidh Roidien) of South Uist.
Many of the 70 tunes on this album are traditional, some are written by Dr Angus, and some are set for pipes for the first time.
"This is not just another album of solo-playing by one of the top performers in the world today. It is indeed a musical character sketch of a man dedicated to some of the finer and more intricate aspects of pipe playing"
"...remains to this day, easily the best recording of bagpipe music"
1. Barabel Phadruig (Patrick's Annabel) / Donald Willie and His Dog / The Price of the Pig
2. An Cota Ruadh (The Red Coat) / The Wise Mans Exercise / MacKenzies Strathspey / When You Go To The Hill Take Your Gun / Danns a Chorrachosaig / Sleepy Maggie / In and Out of the Harbour
3. Dr Allan MacDonald / P/M Hector MacLean / John Morrison of Assynt House
4. Bu Deonach Leam Tilleadh (I Long to Return) / The Sisters Reel / Matt Molloys Reel / The Cape Breton Fiddlers Welcome to Shetland
5. Port Domhnaill Ruadh (Redhaired Donalds Tune) / Port Ailean Og (Young Allans Tune) / Strathearn / Mrs Robertson of Grishornish / A'Phiorbhuic (The Periwig) / The Night We Had The Goats / Cota Mor Ealasaid / A'Sireadh Spors
6. Ruidhleadh Cailleach, Sheatadh Cailleach (The Old Lady Would Reel) / Swallows Tail / The Woman Of The House / The High Road To Linton
7. The Islay Ball / Barbara's Welcome Home / Alasdair Fraser's Welcome To Cape Breton / Joan Beaton's Reel
8. Chuir i Gluin Air a Bhodach (She Put A Knee In The Old Man) / Mo Mhairi Mhin Mheall-Shuileach (Sweet Mary Of The Enticing Eyes) / Buain Na Raineach (Cutting Bracken) / Mrs Martha Knowles / Calum Fhionnlaigh (Calum Finlay) / The Pitnacree Ferryman
9. The Man From Skye / Gillies of Portnalong / Lady In The Bottle
10. Hi Ri Ho ro Mo Nionag (Hi Ri Ho Ro My Young Girl) / The Unst Bridal March / Da Merry Boys Of Greenland / Sleep Soond in Da Moarnin / Millbrae
11. A Bhriogais Uallach (The Pompous Trousers) / Cape Breton Port-a-Beul / An Drochaid Chliuteach (The Famous Bridge) / Na Goisidich (The Gossip)
12. Edinburgh City Police Pipe Band / Blair Drummong / The Man From Glengarry
13. Captain Horne / A. A. Cameron's Strathspey / The Fiddler / Cur Dhan Chiste Mhor Mi (Put Me In The Big Chest) / Love At The Endings
14. Farewell My Love / Moll Roe / Hughie Travers / East At Glendart / P/M John MacDonalds Exercise
15. Inverann / John MacDolls March To Kilbowie Cottage
16. Jock Stewart / The Boys of Ballymote / Give Us A Drink Of Water / P/M Donald MacLean
Artists on this album:
Dr Angus MacDonald
Released in 1990
Temple Records Catalogue Number:
CD - COMD 2043
Download - DD 2043
Produced by Robin Morton